Lindewald Park, formerly known as City Park, is considered LaPorte’s first park. A parcel of land, 9.4 acres on Lower Lake, was purchased in 1890. The original parcel contained a notable grove of white oaks, of which a few of this native timber still remain.
In 2006, the park was renamed for Charles W. Lindewald, a local soldier who gave his life in the Vietnam War. Lindewald, a U.S. Army Master Sergeant and a LaPorte native, was declared missing in action following an attack in 1968. His body was not found until November 2003, when a U.S. government excavation team recovered the remains of Lindewald, who was 29 when he died.
The park is a popular site for family reunions and picnics. Facilities include a picnic shelter, playground, restrooms, ball diamond and 12 lighted horseshoe pits, which are home to the LaPorte Horseshoe Pitches Association.
Hours: Daily sunrise-10pm